The “Monday Morning Museum Update” is here to keep you updated on what staff and volunteers are doing in your community every day in serving and celebrating the history of Lindsborg and the surrounding region. This weekly update both looks back at what happened last week and look ahead at what’s coming.
- Museum will be closed on Thursday, November 24 and Friday, November 25 – Happy Thanksgiving!
- Giving Tuesday “Pay What Your Heart Tells You” Museum Admission – November 29.
- Christmas Artists’ Studio Open House – December 3.
- Heritage Christmas – December 10.
For November 14 – 20, 2022:
- Met with Bethany College to discuss the possibility of a student intern for the spring semester.
- Met as staff to debrief and share ideas and next steps following the Kansas Museums Conference, as well as several logistics questions and planning for upcoming events (including Artist’s Open House and Heritage Christmas).
- All staff helped with volunteer workday on November 19 to finish decorating for Christmas.
- Made the mill available as a setting for several Smoky Valley High School students working on a class film project.
Lenora Lynam, Executive Director
- Reviewed Quickbooks to check for invoices and correct categorization.
Caroline de Filippis, Community Development Director
- Assisted Bethany College on a grant application as a community partner.
- Individual meeting with a board member.
- Researched five possible membership management solutions. Had several demo’ed and requested bid quotes.
- Processed new members and donations.
- Researched possible corporate sponsors.
- Wrote job description for Bethany College student intern.
- Attended Philanthropist of the Year reception hosted by McPherson County Community Foundation.
- Prepared labels and postcards for Artist’s Open House.
- Designed two holiday card options; sent order upon approval of final design.
- Created events calendar for 2022-2023.
- Reviewed Humanities Kansas Speakers bureau; contacted one to speak at the museum in March.
Adam Pracht, Marketing and Communications Director
- Social media posts.
- Wrote and posted on social media a reflection essay about experiences with the mill and encouraging others to consider how to contribute to the mill.
- Shipped first online gift shop order.
- Developed and posted an online gift shop refunds and returns policy.
- Created a staff and board of directors page on the website.
- Visual and design improvements to the home page and footer.
- Added Facebook Messenger chat widget to website, allowing people to contact staff directly from the home page.
- Contacted insurance company on concept to have volunteer-run events or activities in museum venues.
- Improved Google Maps “business” listings for Erickson Brothers Workshop and Blacksmith Shop.
- Contacted local carvers about possibility of a mill-themed ornament.
- Finalized ad insertions for Heritage Christmas.
- Submitted events to Travel Kansas website.
- Inquired with a local radio station on possibly being an interview guest on Heritage Christmas.
- Got feedback to photographer about requests for a planned 125th anniversary coffee table book.
- Designed a coupon for buy one, get one free admission.
Lenora and Caroline
- Decorated museum’s front porch for Christmas.
Caroline and Adam
- Attended weekly AdHoc meeting.
- Big thanks to volunteers who helped us cover Nov. 7-12 week while staff attended Kansas Museums Conference: Jerry Sperling, Ron Wilson, Carol Gusenius, Susan Lundstrom, Les Sperling, Kirsten Bruce, Bernice Peterson, and Julie Ann Neywick.
- Jerry Sperling, Cathy Ahlstedt, and Carol Gusenius helped cover front desk Monday, November 14.
- On Wednesday and Thursday afternoon, Mike Koch helped with cutting greenery and decorating in Heritage Square for the Holidays.
- Mark Lackey, Kathy Peterson, and Holly Malm helped Saturday morning with holiday decorations.