In this week’s update: Museum improvement and beautification, Svensk Hyllningsfest fun at the museum, genealogy workshops and more!
In our weekly update, keep up to date on what staff and volunteers at the Lindsborg Old Mill & Swedish Heritage Museum are working on to lift up the history of Lindsborg and the surrounding region. This weekly update both looks back at what happened last week and looks ahead at what’s coming.
For October 2-7, 2023:
- Work has been finished on the museum walkway by the Museum Handy Crew – it looks great with smoother, more durable composite material!
- Our thanks to board member Becky Anderson for adding great fall decorations to the front porches of the Swedish Pavilion and the museum!
- Museum staff had a great visit to Grain Craft in McPherson as part of a McPherson Chamber event last Thursday. It was a great opportunity to make connections and learn more about how modern milling compares to how it was done in 1898 at the Smoky Valley Roller Mills!
- We are still looking to fill volunteer positions during the Svensk Hyllningsfest 2023. Register your interest here. We are looking to cover 2-hour shifts between 12-5 p.m. on Friday, Oct 13 and Saturday, Oct 14. Thank you in advance for your help!
- Svensk Hyllningsfest is this Friday and Saturday and the museum is going to be a great destination for fun! Stop by for Viking Yard Games, Pickleball, the “Tipsy Traveler” beer garden, smashburgers, or – on Saturday – “Tin Pan Alley Meets WWII” – a music retrospective by Tom Nelson! Then as long as you’re in the neighborhood, visit the Old Mill for just $5 per person admission – a half-price special for the festival on Friday and Saturday only! More information is HERE!
- We are now part of Museums for All – offering admission of just $3 per person for families receiving SNAP benefits with presentation of an EBT card! Learn more HERE.
- There’s still time to register for the Swedish Genealogy Workshop on October 21! Learn more and register at the link HERE.
- Registration is now open for a special Genealogy Presentation on November 4 in partnership with “Pursuing YOUR Past.” This is FREE for museum members (check your emails!) or just $10 for non-members.
Thanks to Our Weekly Volunteers!
Jerry Sperling, Margaret Presley, Ron Wilson, Julie Ann Neywick, Mim Carlson, Les Sperling, Jerry Hammerton, Mike Koch, and Karmon Almquist!