In this week’s update: great volunteer groups and volunteers needed, Svenk Hyllningsfest attractions at the museum, photo preservation project, and more!
In our weekly update, keep up to date on what staff and volunteers at the Lindsborg Old Mill & Swedish Heritage Museum are working on to lift up the history of Lindsborg and the surrounding region. This weekly update both looks back at what happened last week and looks ahead at what’s coming.
For September 25 – October 1, 2023:
- We had two great groups of volunteers help us this week! First, on Monday, we had 18 Bethany College students help with raking and trimming along the museum driveway as part of the Ken Sjogren Day of Service. Then on Wednesday evening, Bank of Tescott employees gave back to the community, cleaning and trimming around the fence east of the museum. Thank you for your help!
- We are still looking to fill volunteer positions during the Svensk Hyllningsfest 2023. Register your interest here. We are looking to cover 2-hour shifts between 12-5 p.m. on Friday, Oct 13 and Saturday, Oct 14. Thank you in advance for your help!
- We’re going to be a great destination this year for Svensk Hyllningsfest fun! Stop by for Viking Yard Games, Pickleball, the “Tipsy Traveler” beer garden, smashburgers, or – on Saturday – “Tin Pan Alley Meets WWII” – a music retrospective by Tom Nelson! Then as long as you’re in the neighborhood, visit the Old Mill for just $5 per person admission – a half-price special for the festival on Friday and Saturday only!
- Thanks to grants and the work of volunteers and our college intern, we are starting up a new project to preserve and digitize our local and regional history in photographs! You can start seeing the results of the work on our Flickr photostream at www.flickr.com/photos/lindsborgmill. Give us a call at 785-227-3595 or email email@example.com to start the process of setting up an appointment to bring by your contributions. (Please do not stop by with contributions unannounced. We might not be able to help you at that moment if we don’t know you’re coming!)
- Adam finished preparing a presentation on immersive museum experiences on a budget for the Kansas Museums Association Conference.
- Registration is now open for a special Genealogy Presentation on November 4 in partnership with “Pursuing YOUR Past.” This is FREE for museum members (check your emails!) or just $10 for non-members.
Thanks to Our Weekly Volunteers!
Margaret Presley, Ron Wilson, Julie Ann Neywick, Tom Holmquist, Marlysue Holmquist, Collin Carlson, Les Sperling, Leland Nelson, Karmon Almquist, and Jerry Hammerton! Les, Mike Koch, and our intern – Tyler – also helped pick up a donated piano from Tom Nelson!