Some big milestones completed last week, and as museum staff, we’re looking forward to some big events coming up!
Keep up to date on what staff and volunteers at the Lindsborg Old Mill & Swedish Heritage Museum are doing in your community every day in celebrating the history of Lindsborg and the surrounding region. This weekly update both looks back at what happened last week and looks ahead at what’s coming.
For March 6-12, 2023:
- On Friday, museum staff successfully finished submitting its application for a large SPRINT grant administered by the Kansas Department of Commerce. If awarded, these funds could be transformative for the sustained future of the Lindsborg museum by funding many important preservation, restoration, and expansion projects in support of tourism to Lindsborg.
- The McPherson Gem & Mineral Club was here on March 7, helping to evaluate the cases of rocks, minerals and fossils that are currently being stored in the Academy building.
- Long time museum friend & volunteer, Chet Peterson passed away on Wednesday. Chet had been indexing the Lindsborg phone books over the past several years covering the years from 1911 – 1966. He will be greatly missed!
- We are welcoming guest speaker Tom Prasch at 6 p.m. on March 30 in the Swedish Pavilion with “World’s Fair Remnants in Kansas”!
- Prepared for, attended, and cleaned up after the monthly Board of Directors meeting.
- Team planning meeting looking forward to next two months of events and preparation for them, particularly Millfest.
Lenora Lynam, Executive Director
- Assisted two individuals with archival research on Friday and Saturday.
- Worked with finance committee chair to enter budget into Quickbooks.
Caroline de Filippis, Community Development Director
- Processed new donations and memberships.
- Create and pick up promotional materials for guest speaker Tom Prasch on March 30. Deliver several.
- Review options for next guest speaker.
- Set up links for e-newsletter version of The Museum Messenger.
- Attended CVB Board Meeting.
- Arrange next fundraising bootcamp date.
- Communication on food truck vendors for Millfest.
- Created Facebook event and prepared a news release for guest speaker.
- Clean-up of records in membership management program.
- Attend webinar on grant applications.
- Work on a bookmark design to promote Millfest.
- SPRINT grant work:
- Verify several questions with Department of Commerce.
- Update budget.
- Update expense pro forma sheet.
- Add in one additional aspect of project.
- Makes changes off feedback and submit final grant application.
Adam Pracht, Marketing and Communications Director
- Social media posts, responding to multiple messages and comments. Sent Facebook invites to individuals expressing interest. (Total Facebook likes now exceed 1,600 and approaching 1,700 quickly!)
- Installed one of two new directional signs for the museum campus.
- Posted an additional 360 Virtual Tour of the Swedish Pavilion and portions of Heritage Square buildings. Currently available at www.oldmillmuseum.org/virtual-tour.
- Posted destination links for the spring newsletter to website.
- SPRINT grant work: Assisted Caroline with final review and edits of SPRINT grant application before final submission on Friday.
- Communication with City of Lindsborg on Proclamation reading at the March 20 City Council meeting.
- Interview with Lindsborg News-Record on a story.
- Pitched to have Millfest be part of a “Where’s Shane?” segment.
- Invitations to government representatives to attend Millfest on May 6 and sending them proposed resolutions/proclamations to use in commemorating the 125th anniversary of the Old Mill.
- Feedback to Caroline on poster for guest speaker.
- Took pictures of McPherson Rock & Minerals Club in their work last Tuesday.
- Arranging advertising for Millfest in several publications.
- Requested permission to use past video footage of Millfest taken by an outside videographer.
- Created and posted two signs (genealogy computer down; train depot closed).
- Delivered posters about guest speaker.
- Pitched to appear on an area radio show.
- Created short application for Millfest Vendors/Demonstrators/Activity Organizers. (Apply with your own idea HERE.)
- Returned 360 camera to CVB.
Adam and Caroline
- Preparations for Volunteer Fair on March 31.
Caroline and Lenora
- SPRINT grant work:
- Met with a contractor on a quote for insulation in the Swedish Pavilion.
- Obtained the Sams.gov number required for all federal grants.
- Ran the mill committee meeting on Tuesday evening, primary topic being preparation for Millfest.
- Carol Gusenius, Ron Wilson, and Jerry Sperling: Monday front desk coverage.
- Mike Koch: Installed sign on mill office door.
- Mike Lynam: Hauled out cans from storage shed.