In this week’s update: A government recognition of the 125th anniversary of the mill, a strong week of guests during Spring Break, and more!
Keep up to date on what staff and volunteers at the Lindsborg Old Mill & Swedish Heritage Museum are doing in your community every day in celebrating the history of Lindsborg and the surrounding region. This weekly update both looks back at what happened last week and looks ahead at what’s coming.
For March 13-19, 2023:
- A special mayoral proclamation about the 125th anniversary of the Old Mill is on the agenda for the city council meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, March 20! All are welcome to attend or to watch the meeting’s live stream! www.facebook.com/LindsborgCity/live_videos
- During Spring Break for most area schools, we had an excellent pace of guests we welcomed to the museum – about 30-40 people per day!
- Collections committee met on Friday, and the Bethany College tennis team helped with moving totes of rocks from the train depot to the Academy building for McPherson Gem and Mineral Club Volunteers to work through. Thanks, everyone, for your help!
- Met with McPherson Public Library to learn more about their online photo collection system.
- Met with representatives of the Greater Salina Community Foundation.
- Team planning meeting on Friday on a variety of topics.
- Continued planning for and work on Millfest and Millfest for Kids.
Lenora Lynam, Executive Director
- Helped an individual from Missouri who had recently purchased and is planning to restore a delivery truck that once belonged to Smoky Valley Roller Mills.
- Received a quote for digitization of archive materials. Sent one tax assessment book for a trial run.
Caroline de Filippis, Community Development Director
- Maintenance to membership records.
- Organize contact list to Bethany College sports teams as well as work day to move location of archived rocks.
- Create Volunteer Opportunity list, committee list, and sign-up sheet for Volunteers Fair on March 31.
- Meeting for programming committee of Svensk Hyllningsfest.
- Planning contact to collection committee.
- Welcome visitors as needed.
- Assist with application to Sunflower Summer program.
- Create and print Millfest letter to mill descendants. Also create and print VIP tickets for Millfest.
- Contact chess school about Millfest.
- Review documentation on Community Service Tax Credits.
- Organizing next 125th anniversary committee meeting.
Adam Pracht, Marketing and Communications Director
- Social media posts, responding to multiple messages and comments. Reposted certain museum-related content. Sent Facebook invites to individuals expressing interest. (Total Facebook likes is just one shy of 1,700! Maybe your “like” will put it over the top?)
- Confirmed proclamation will be declared at next City of Lindsborg Council Meeting.
- Created a horizontal and vertical version of a 0:15 promotional video to be used with the Sunflower Summer app. Also provided some final materials needed for Sunflower Summer application and made a few additions to the application form.
- Gave a short mill tour to representatives of the Greater Salina Community Foundation.
- Posted News release about March 30 guest speaker to website and sent to journalists.
- Rearranged layout of news area of website.
- Updated events page and main page on website as well as Facebook.
- Created a social media graphic and event postings for Våffeldagen.
- Communicated plans to government officials about timing during Millfest.
- Communicated with two news outlets on advertisement purchase and design.
- Secured permission to used a video taken by an outside videographer.
- Brought down and folded flag damaged from wind.
- Greeting guests.
- Started on design for new third-page brochure/handout.
Adam and Caroline
- Collaborated on a physical Millfest promotional poster.
Caroline and Lenora
- Meeting with Land Institute about Millfest plans.
- Met with several board members and volunteers on revisions and updates to exhibits in the Swedish Pavilion.
- Work on photos and timeline for a milling exhibit.
Lenora and Adam
- Fulfilled online gift shop orders.
- Cathy Ahlstedt, Ron Wilson, and Jerry Sperling: Monday front desk coverage.
- Susan Achenbach: Wednesday and Friday front desk coverage.
- Julie Ann Neywick: Scanning photos.
- Bethany College tennis team: Moving boxes and totes of archived rocks