In this week’s update: Volunteer Workday, Millfest preparations, restoration projects, and more!
In our weekly update, keep up to date on what staff and volunteers at the Lindsborg Old Mill & Swedish Heritage Museum are working on to lift up the history of Lindsborg and the surrounding region. This weekly update both looks back at what happened last week and looks ahead at what’s coming.
For April 17-23, 2023:
- We’re participating in the April Match Month through the Smoky Valley Community Foundation! Any donations made to the museum through the foundation during April using the link HERE will have their donation doubled with a one-to-one match!
- It’s almost here! Millfest will be Saturday, May 6, and we’ll be celebrating 125 years since the construction of the Old Mill! Read all the latest updates on the events and activities for the day HERE.
- Registration is open now for the next Swedish Genealogy Workshop on June 10! Purchase your reservation through the museum gift shop HERE!
- Continued planning for Millfest and Millfest for Kids.
- Planning and working Volunteer Workday.
Lenora Lynam, Executive Director
- Daily bookkeeping (Bank deposits, bills, recording and reconciling transactions in accounting software.)
- Coordinated with Millfest demonstrators and vendors on their needs on tables, chairs, and other resources.
- Coordinated with state preservation office and a contractor on planned Swedish Pavilion repairs and restoration.
- Worked to resolve security system and phone issues.
- Worked with state preservation office on several questions.
- Submitted scope of work on Heritage Trust Grant to state preservation office.
Caroline de Filippis, Community Development Director
- Process new memberships and donations. Send thank-you’s.
- Create volunteers contact list and send mass email about Volunteer Workday.
- Picking up print orders.
- Creating new mailing label and return address labels.
- Prepare documents for State Preservation office and coordinate with contractors.
- Researched Qualified Charitable Distribution requirements.
- Communicated with potential vendors for Millfest.
- Millfest reminder email for members.
- Typed up texts for mill facts/”For Your Safety” handouts.
- Review and create yard signs needed for Millfest.
- Finish draft grant application for photo digitizing system.
- Humanities Kansas form from March 30 speaker.
- Create yard sign for Millfest sponsor.
- Contact potential Development Committee members.
- Work on Millfest waiver form.
- Send out membership card.
- Print additional pen and letter opener explanation handouts.
- Guest coverage.
- Name badges for board of directors, staff, and volunteers for Millfest.
Adam Pracht, Marketing and Communications Director
- Social media posts, responding to multiple messages and comments. Sent Facebook invites to individuals expressing interest.
- Attended AdHoc.
- Wrote and posted up the 125th anniversary Old Mill news release.
- Added new language to the campgrounds page.
- Coordinated with multiple government representatives regarding Millfest attendance or proclamations/resolutions about the 125th anniversary of the Old Mill.
- Assessed burned out and missing light bulbs and noted other easy-to-fix needed maintenance.
- Started on redesign on historical “yellow book.”
- Contacted Smoky Valley Community Foundation on a Match Month question.
- Finished an almost-final draft of the Millfest program.
- Received images from Taton Tubbs donated for mill use.
- Feedback to Caroline on a number of items.
- Communicated with potential volunteer at Bethany College.
- Redesign of mill facts and “For Your Safety” handout for Millfest.
- Edited, designed and posted a “Museum Memories” reflection by Michael Chambers.
Caroline and Lenora
- Finalized schedules for Millfest for Kids. Emailed and mailed full packets to each school/homeschool group.
- Inventoried the number and sizes of available tables.
- Coordinated with collections committee on Pavilion exhibits.
Adam and Caroline
- Prepare Millfest postcard mailing.
- Cathy Ahlstedt and Carol Gusenius – Monday front desk coverage.
- Jerry Sperling – Monday and Saturday front desk coverage.
- Julie Ann Neywik – photo scanning.
- Tom & Marlysue Holmquist – cleaning out south room of Academy building for Millfest for Kids day.
- About 10 volunteers came out last Saturday for the twice-annual Volunteer Workday – helping with dusting, cleaning, grounds cleanup, and more! We’d like to particularly mention David, who traveled for four and a half hours and started out at 4 a.m. on Saturday, just to come help us and volunteer! We’re incredibly thankful for this generosity and sacrifice to come help!