In this week’s update: Cultural Crawl presentation video, open contractor bids, free family memberships for financial need, and more!
In our weekly update, keep up to date on what staff and volunteers at the Lindsborg Old Mill & Swedish Heritage Museum are working on to lift up the history of Lindsborg and the surrounding region. This weekly update both looks back at what happened last week and looks ahead at what’s coming.
For January 22-28, 2024:
- We had a wonderful turnout for our Lindsborg Cultural Crawl event yesterday, Sunday, January 28, with a special presentation from Tom Holmquist (who will be the author of the forthcoming commemorative history book on the mill’s 125-year history). We had 36 guests attend in person and more watched online.
Now you can watch his special presentation “Smoky Valley’s Best and Lindsborg’s Treasure: A Brief History of the Old Mill,” from the Facebook Live recording. Holmquist shared from portions of what he’s learned from his research for the book – particularly the history of agriculture, milling, and the Old Mill in Lindsborg.
- We are currently taking bids on two projects – repairs to the front porch of the main museum building and repairs to the roof and guttering of the Old Mill’s powerhouse. Bidding deadline is THIS Friday, February 2. Contact us at 785-227-3595 or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about how to bid, or see the full scope of work documents and further instructions at www.oldmillmuseum.org/project-bids. (That URL will now permanently be where all new open bidding opportunities will be posted.)
- Reminder! We had enough one-time gifts during our year-end fundraising campaign to supply up to 650 family museum memberships for free to families in financial need. A simple application to receive one of these free at-need memberships is now online at tinyurl.com/FreeMuseumMembership.
It’s fast to complete and designed to be a very low barrier to entry. Basically it’s just giving contact information.
A printable form is also available at www.oldmillmuseum.org/members that can be mailed in to the museum or brought in person. The application deadline will be THIS Wednesday, January 31, 2024, and will be given on a first come, first served basis.
- Our current museum membership total is 148, which is ahead of pace for this time last year, but still one short of last year’s final 2023 membership total. If you’re interested in becoming a member, you can sign up today at www.oldmillmuseum.org/members!
- We have a new Kansas travel guide available in our gift shop! Check out Wandermore in Kansas!
- Registration is now open for “Millfest for Kids” on Friday, May 3, 2024. This is a “living history” event for children of all ages. Students and teachers will enjoy a variety of hands-on activities such as blacksmithing, ropemaking, spinning, quilting, music and more! Contact us at email@example.com or call 785-227-3595 to reserve limited space. Demonstrators for the event are now being contacted and we already have more than 260 students registered to attend.
- Register today! We have two upcoming genealogy workshops. First, the next all-day Swedish Genealogy Workshop will be on THIS Saturday, February 3. A shorter beginner German Genealogy Workshop is scheduled for February 17. Discounts on both are available for museum members.
- We have officially kicked off our Endowment Campaign 2025 to add $1 million to our endowment in supporting our annual operational budget to make sure that not only do we preserve these historical treasures, but we can also “keep the lights on.” Read more on the flyer and giving form below, or visit to www.oldmillmuseum.org/donations to learn more!
Thank you to our museum volunteers!
Jerry Sperling, Margaret Presley, Carol Gusenius, Les Sperling, Jerry Hammerton, Mike Koch, Tim Stewart, and Betty Amos!